1. What does Storyheap do?
Storyheap is a US headquartered provider of software for social media management, social advocacy, social analytics, and social listening. For more information about Storyheap, please see the “About Us” section of our Site at https://storyheap.com/.
2. Information Collected
We collect information about visitors to our Site, our customers and their users of the Service, job applicants, and users of our customers’ social media pages / properties.
Such information is collected from the following sources:
- Information We Collect Directly from You: The type of information that we collect directly from you varies based on your interaction with our Site and our Service. For example, we collect information directly from you when you register an account with us, liaise with us on a customer service issue, apply for a job, and complete an application or other forms on the Site and/or Service. We also collect information that you send us via any medium, including, but not limited to email address and phone number. In addition, we collect information about you from your social media interactions on third party social media properties, such as your social media handle, username, profile, postings, and messages you exchange with our customers.
- Information We Receive from Customers: We receive information from customers in order to provide our Service. Such information may include a user’s social media handle, username, profile picture, biography, follower counts, website URL, first and last name (if provided by user), and messages or communications with our customers. We collect information from individuals employed by our customers such as their contact information in order to provide our Service.
3. Information Collected Automatically
When you visit our Site or use our Service, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location), third party webpages accessed via the Service and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site (including the pages accessed and links clicked) or Service (including content accessed).
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Site or use our Service, where they come from, and what content and functionality is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Site and/or Service to our visitors and users.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies, similar tracking technology, and analytics” below and in our Cookie Notice.
4. Information from Other Sources
We also collect information from other sources. The following are the categories of sources we collect information from:
- Data brokers or resellers from which we purchase data to verify and supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks when you engage with our content, reference our Site or Service, or grant us permission to access information from the social networks.
- Partners that offer co-branded services, sell or distribute our products, or engage in joint marketing activities.
- Customers that provide us with information which we process as a service provider.
6. Use of Information
- Operate and improve the Site and Service;
- Provide users or customers with the Service and other products and services that a user or customer may request or that a user or customer has expressed interest in;
- Facilitate subscription processing, reviews and analysis;
- Evaluate user interest and needs in order to improve the Service and make available other offers, products or services;
- Record calls with customers for quality, training and Service improvement purposes (upon receipt of consent where required by applicable law);
- Evaluate the types of offers, products or services we make available to users or customers and potential users or customers;
- Monitor use of the Service, including for troubleshooting and product improvement purposes;
- Provide customer support;
- Communicate and provide additional information that may be of interest to users through email or other means, such as special offers, announcements, and marketing materials;
- Conduct online research surveys regarding the Site and/or Service;
- Combine datasets to create aggregated data for internal evaluation and analysis;
- Share anonymised or personalised tokens across the Storyheap platform in order to provide the Service;
- Send you reminders, technical notices, updates, product announcements, security alerts and support and administrative messages, service bulletins, or marketing;
- Provide advertisements to you through email messages;
- As necessary to consider your job application for open positions, process your employment and education history, transcript, writing samples, and references;
- Manage our everyday business needs such as Site and/or Service administration, forum management, fulfillment, analytics, fraud prevention, enforcement of our corporate reporting obligations, legal terms and any other contractual agreement relating to our Service or to comply with the law; and
- Fulfill any other business or commercial purposes at your direction or with your notice and/or consent.
Notwithstanding the above, we may use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we use information about you, please see “Your Data Protection Rights” below.
7. To Whom We May Share Your Information
- to our customers in connection with us processing information on their behalf to provide social media management, social advocacy, social analytics, and social listening services. For example, we share information with our customers in order to facilitate your orders, maintain and administer your online accounts, respond to your questions and comments, comply with your requests, market and advertise to you and otherwise comply with applicable law;
- to resellers, in certain countries and only where permitted by applicable law. We may provide contact information of customers / potential customers to such reseller to market our Service.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or court order or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to vendors for business and commercial purposes, including analytics and advertising technology companies. Vendors may act as our service providers, or in certain contexts, independently decide how to process your information. For more information on advertising and analytics, see the “Cookies, similar tracking technology, and analytics” section below;
- to any other person with notice to you and your consent to the disclosure;
- when you voluntarily enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, we share information as set out in the official rules that govern the promotion as well as for administrative purposes and as required by law (e.g., on a winners list). By entering a promotion, you agree to the official rules that govern that promotion, and may, except where prohibited by applicable law, allow the sponsor and/or other entities to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials;
- when you make information public through the Site or Service, such as information in your profile or that you post or comment on public boards, including through Disqus and social media, your information is publicly viewable. Please think carefully before making information public as you are solely responsible for any information you make public. Once you have posted information, you may not be able to edit or delete such information, subject to additional rights set out in the “Your Data Protection Rights” section below; and
- Notwithstanding the above, we may share information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we share information about you, please see the “Your Data Protection Rights” section below.
- In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
8. Cookies, similar tracking technology, and analytics
We also use analytics services, such as Google Analytics, to help us understand how users access and use the Service. In addition, we also use audience matching services to reach people (or people similar to people) who have visited our Service or are identified in one or more of our databases (“Matched Ads”). This is done by us uploading a customer list to a technology service or incorporating a pixel from a technology service into our own Service, and the technology service matching common factors between our data and their data. For instance, we incorporate the Facebook pixel on our Service and may share your email address with Facebook as part of our use of Facebook Custom Audiences.
Google provides tools to allow you to opt out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network at https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/.
To opt out of us using your data for Matched Ads, please contact us as set forth in the “Contact Us” section below and specify that you wish to opt out of matched ads. We will request that the applicable technology service not serve you matched ads based on information we provide to it. Alternatively, you may directly contact the applicable technology service to opt out.
9. Your Data Protection Rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to Contact Us” heading below. Note that if you submit a request to delete your information, this may prohibit you from using the Site and/or Service. If you have authorized us to access your data via the YouTube API Services, then in addition to our normal procedure for deleting stored data, you may revoke our access to your data via the Google security settings page, located at https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions.
- In addition, if you are a resident of the European Union, you can object to processing of your personal data, ask us to restrict processing of your personal data, or request portability of your personal data. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to Contact Us” heading below. Note that if you submit such a request, this may prohibit you from using the Site and/or Service.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to Contact Us” heading below. Please note that your opt out is limited to the email address, device, and phone number used and will not affect subsequent subscriptions.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Where we process your information solely on behalf of a customer, we may be legally required to forward your request directly to our customer and/or social media business partners for their review / handling. California residents may have additional rights as set out in Section 23 (“Additional Disclosures for California Residents”) below.
10. Data retention
- We retain information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
- When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymise it in accordance with our data retention policy, or, in the limited circumstances where this is not possible (for example, because your information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
12. Additional Disclosures for California Residents
These additional disclosures for California residents apply only to individuals who reside in California. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides additional rights to know, delete and opt out, and requires businesses collecting or disclosing personal information to provide notices and means to exercise rights.
- Notice of Collection.
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number account name, IP address, and an ID or number assigned to your account.
- Customer records, billing and shipping address, and credit or debit card information.
- Commercial information, including purchases and engagement with the Service.
- Internet activity, including your interactions with our Service.
- Audio or visual data, including pictures or videos you post on our Service.
- Employment and education data, including information you provide when you apply for a job with us.
- Inferences, including information about your interests, preferences and favorites.
- For more information on information we collect, including the sources we receive information from, review the Information Collected and Information Collected Automatically sections. We collect and use these categories of personal information for the business purposes described in the Use of Information section, including to provide and manage our Service.
- Storyheap does not generally sell information as the term “sell” is traditionally understood. However, to the extent “sale” under the CCPA is interpreted to include advertising technology activities such as those disclosed in the Cookies, similar tracking technology, and analytics section as a “sale,” we will comply with applicable law as to such activity.
- We may share your personal information with government entities when required to do so by law. Please review the To Whom We Share Your Information section for more detail about the parties we have shared information with.
- Right to Know and Delete.